Tile cleaning is an important part of maintaining the overall cleanliness and appearance of your home or office. While it may seem like a straightforward task, there are several common mistakes that people make when cleaning tiles that can actually do more harm than good. In this blog post, we’ll cover nine mistakes to avoid when cleaning tiles to ensure that your floors and walls stay looking their best.
1. Using too much water
While it may be tempting to use a lot of water when cleaning your tiles, too much water can actually cause damage to the grout and underlying structure of the tiles. Instead, use a damp mop or cloth to clean your tiles, and make sure to dry them thoroughly afterward.
2. Using the wrong cleaning product
One of the biggest mistakes people make when cleaning tiles is using the wrong cleaning product. Some products can be too harsh and cause damage to your tiles, while others may not be effective at removing stubborn stains. Before you start cleaning, make sure you know what type of tiles you have and choose a cleaning product that is specifically designed for that type of tile.
Avoid using harsh cleaners that can damage the tile surface and grout lines. Instead, use a mild cleaner or a cleaner specifically designed for your type of tile.
3. Not testing the product first
Even if you choose the right cleaning product, it’s important to test it on a small, inconspicuous area of your tiles first. This will help you avoid any potential damage or discoloration that could occur if the product is not compatible with your tiles or whit that specific stain you are trying to remove.
4. Dirty water or cloths
If the water used to clean the tiles is not changed frequently, it will make the tiles dirty and spread the soil instead of removing it.
Same happens if you use dirty cloths to clean your tiles, as the dirt and grime on the cloth can be transferred to the tiles and cause them to become even dirtier. This can also lead to streaks and smudges on the tiles, making them look dull and unclean.
To effectively clean tiles, it’s important to use a cleaning solution specifically designed for tiles and to change the water and cloths frequently to ensure that the dirt and grime are being removed rather than spread around.
5. Abrasive materials
Scrubbing your tiles with abrasive materials like steel wool or harsh brushes can cause scratches and damage to the surface of the tile. Instead, use a soft-bristled brush or a sponge to gently clean your tiles.
6. Neglecting the grout
The grout between your tiles is just as important as the tiles themselves, but it can be easy to overlook when cleaning. Make sure to clean the grout thoroughly at least once a year to avoid discolouration or staining.
7. Letting spills sit too long
When spills happen, it’s important to clean them up as soon as possible to prevent staining or discoloration. Letting spills sit for too long can make them much more difficult to clean up later.
8. Not sealing the tiles
After cleaning your tiles, it’s a good idea to seal them to help prevent future staining and damage. This is especially important for tiles that are exposed to moisture, like those in bathrooms or kitchens.
9. Not having professional tile cleaning
It is recommended to have your tiles professionally cleaned at least once a year, although the frequency may vary depending on the characteristics of your facility and the amount of foot traffic it receives.
▷ Benefits professional tile cleaning
- Extends the life of your tiles: professional tile cleaning can help to remove dirt and grime that can cause tiles to deteriorate over time. By keeping your tiles clean, you can help extend their lifespan and avoid costly repairs or replacements.
- Improves appearance: professional cleaning can remove stubborn stains, dirt, and grime that regular cleaning may not be able to remove. This can help to restore your tiles to their original appearance, making them look brighter and more attractive.
- Enhances safety: dirty or greasy tiles can be slippery and pose a safety hazard, particularly in areas such as kitchens or bathrooms. Professional cleaning can help to remove any buildup that can make your tiles slippery and dangerous to walk on.
- Prevents mold and mildew growth: in areas such as bathrooms or kitchens are particularly susceptible to mold and mildew growth. Professional cleaning can help to remove any mold or mildew that may be present and prevent it from spreading further.
At Point Three Carpet Maintenance LTD we can help you with your tile cleaning! From natural stone to porcelain tiles and more, we are experts in getting clean your tiles and grout plus we can also seal them to protect your investment for many years to come. Contact us today to get a customized cleaning plan for your commercial space.